1Student Research Assembly, Kerman University of Medical Science, Kerman, IRAN
2Regional Knowledge Hub and WHO Collaborating Centre for HIV Surveillance, Institute for Futures Studies in Health, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, IRAN
3Regional Knowledge HUB for HIV/AIDS Surveillance, Research Centre for Modelling in Health, Institute for Future Studies in Health, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, IRAN
Background: In order to check the practicality of classification of Universities of Medical Sciences (UMSs) based on their infrastructures, and scientific contributions, this study explored the most appropriate indicators to measure the size and productivity of UMSs. Methods: In the first phase, we approached a group of experts who had a deep experience in the management of UMSs and in the ministry of health to check their recommendations. In the second phase, we collected the information of all UMSs in Iran in indicators to measure their achievement in education, research, health care services and their infrastructures. Having used factorial and principal component analysis, the most appropriate combination of indicators was formed, and UMSs were grouped and mapped, accordingly. Results: Experts strongly recommended such a classification using the information of UMSs in all aspects of activities. The findings of models also showed an acceptable goodness of fit for the classification of UMSs based on scientific indicators, with and without taking into account of the indicators in related to the health services and infrastructure. Conclusions: Since, the size of UMSs in Iran is extensively diverse, ranges from very small and newly established to old and globally well known ones, a satisfactory classification based on acceptable criteria is highly recommended.
1. Haghdoost A-A, Ghazi M, Rafiee Z, Afshari M. The trend of governmental support from post-graduated Iranian students in medical fields to study abroad. Iranian journal of public health 2013; 42(Suppl 1): 141.
2. Larijani B, Majdzadeh R, Delavari AR, Rajabi F, Khatibzadeh S, Esmailzadeh H, et al. Iran’s Health Innovation and Science Development Plan by 2025. Iranian journal of public health 2009; 38(Suppl 1): 13-6.
3. Technology MoSRa, Education MoHaM. Documental comprehensive map of the country. Tehran: The Supreme Council of Cultural Revolution, Vice President for Science and Technology, Ministry of Science Research and Technology, Ministry of Health and Medical Education, Ministry of Education, Parliament; 2011. [In Persian].
4. Technology MoSRa, Education MoHaM, University IA. Regulations on Management of Universities and Institutions of Higher Education, Research and Technology. 2011: 1-29.
5. Nazari Chamak M, Haghdoost AA, Islaminejad T. The position of university classification in Iran and International Arena; A systematic review. Future of medical education journal; 2(3): 11-8.
6. Driscoll A. Carnegie's new community engagement classification: Affirming higher education's role in community. New Directions for Higher Education 2009; 147: 5-12.
7. Fang W. The development of transnational higher education in China: A comparative study of research universities and teaching universities. J Stud Int Educ; 16(1): 5-23.
8. Huang M-H. Opening the black box of QS World University Rankings. Research Evaluation.rvr003.
9. McCormick AC, Zhao C-M. Rethinking and reframing the Carnegie classification. Change: The magazine of higher learning 2005; 37(5): 51-7.
10. Mohrman K, Wang Y. China drive for world-class universities. Higher Education, Policy, and the Global Competition Phenomenon: 161-76.
11. Shin JC. The world-class university: Concept and policy initiatives. Institutionalization of world-class university in global competition. USA: Springer: 17-32.
12. Shulman LS. The Carnegie classification of institutions of higher education. Menlo Park: Carnegie Publication. 2001.
13. Yang R, Welch A. A world-class university in China? The case of Tsinghua. Higher Educ; 63(5): 645-66.
14. Zhang H, Patton D, Kenney M. Building global-class universities: Assessing the impact of the 985 Project. Research Policy.42(3):765-75.
15. Chehrei A, Haghdoost AA, Fereshtehnejad S, Bayat A. Statistical analysis of medical research using the software SPSS. Tehran: Pajhwok Elm Arya; 2011.
16. Aminpour F, Kabiri P, Otroj Z, Keshtkar AA. Webometric analysis of Iranian universities of medical sciences. Scientometrics. 2009;80(1):253-64.
17. Deem R, Mok KH, Lucas L. Transforming higher education in whose image? Exploring the concept of the â€کworld-classâ€™ university in Europe and Asia. Higher education policy. 2008;21(1):83-97.
18. Wu W. Cultivating research universities and industrial linkages in China: The case of Shanghai. World Dev2007; 35(6): 1075-93.
19. Deem R, Mok KH, Lucas L. Transforming higher education in whose image? Exploring the concept of the /`world-class/' university in Europe and Asia. High Educ Policy 21(1): 83-97.
20. Keyzouri AH. Introducing some quality indices of Iranian university system to be used in the university budgeting. Quarterly journal of research and planning in higher education. 2007; 13(3): 57-84. [In Persian].
21. Malek-Afzali H, Setare-Forouzan A, Momtazmanesh N, Dejman M, Fakhr-yaseri A. Excellence assessment model for Iranian medical centers. Teb va Tazkiyeh 2012; 19(3): 9-20. [In Persian].
22. Nassiri-Koopaei N, Majdzadeh R, Kebriaeezadeh A, Rashidian A, Yazdi MT, Nedjat S, et al. Commercialization of biopharmaceutical knowledge in Iran; challenges and solutions. DARU J Pharm Sci 22: 29.
23. Etemadi-Fard A. Webometrics ranking of world universities in Iran indicators in 2007. Rahyaft 2008; 40: 76-81. [In Persian].
24. Bakhtiyari-nejad F, Heidari AH. The principles and structure of scientific centers of excellence. Rahyaft 2008; 41: 58-66. [In Persian].
25. Abbasi-Moghadam M, Razavi S, Nouraei M. Attitudes of academic experts the results the integration of medical education and healthcare in 2003. Journal of Tehran University of Medical Sciences 2005; 62(1): 80-8.
26. Lame A. The concept of integration. Teb va Tazkiyeh 2006; 16: 22-30. [In Persian].